Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sugar cookies / Tea Cakes

I really wanted something sweet last night. I'm trying so hard to be good and lose a little bit of weight but sometimes your brain just screams "GIVE ME SUGAR!". So I made some cookies. I made some AWESOME cookies. I wanted to post the recipe because it's super easy and can usually be done with what you have in your fridge/pantry. Nothing fancy.. just awesome cookies.

Ingredients:
1 box Betty Crocker Cake Mix (your choice of flavor)

1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

Step 1:  Preheat over to 375 degrees F. In large bowl, beat all ingredients with electric mixer or medium speed about 1 minute or until thoroughly mixed.


Step 2:  Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll out each half. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking surface and bake 6 to 8 minutes or just until set. Cool one minute.

Now that's the official recipe. I didn't make it quite like that last night. I only had about 3/4 of a cake mix due to making other cookies a few weeks ago.. so I modified this somewhat. I used 1/4 shortening and 1/4 butter, one teaspoon vanilla and 1 egg. The dough was still pretty crumbly so I melted about 1/8 - 1/4 cup of butter. After that, there was no way these cookies were going to roll out. The dough was super sticky and I was actually a little worried I would end up with frisbees instead of cookies. The dough was perfect for drop cookies though so I continued on and the result was AWESOME cookies. They almost remind me of the tea cakes my mom used to make.. light, soft, and fluffy. I'll be making another batch tonight or tomorrow for one of my college courses. I'll be sure to post pictures when I do as well as the lesson plan I'm using them in!

No comments:

Post a Comment